The Policy Circle, Co.
Last Modified: September 15, 2016
2. Changes to the Terms
We may revise these Terms from time-to-time in our sole discretion, and the most current version will always be posted on our website at www.thepolicycircle.org. If, in our sole discretion, we deem a revision to be material, we will notify you. By continuing to access or use the Website after revisions become effective, you agree to be bound by the revised Terms. If you do not agree to the new terms, you must stop using the Website.
3. Accessing the Website and Account Security
To access the Website or some of the resources it offers, you will be asked to provide certain registration details or other information. Please provide correct, current, and complete information. You will be responsible for all activity associated with your account, including any fees incurred. You agree to notify us immediately of any unauthorized access to or use of your user name or password or any other breach of security.
We have the right to disable any user name, password or other identifier, whether chosen by you or provided by us, at any time in our sole discretion for any or no reason, including if, in our opinion, you have violated any provision of these Terms.
4. Intellectual Property Rights / Our License to You
The Website and all related contents, features and functionality (including but not limited to all information, software, text, displays, images, video and audio, and the design, selection and arrangement thereof in), are owned by The Policy Circle, its licensors or other providers of such material and are protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws. The Policy Circle’s name, the company logo and all related names, logos, product and service names, designs and slogans are trademarks of The Policy Circle or its affiliates or licensors. You must not use such marks without the prior written permission of The Policy Circle. All other names, logos, product and service names, designs, and slogans on the Website are the trademarks of their respective owners.
Subject to these Terms and our policies, including the Acceptable Use Policy, we grant you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, and revocable license to use our Website.
5. Acceptable Use Policy
You may use the Website only for lawful purposes and in accordance with these Terms. You agree not to use the Website:
- In any way that violates any applicable federal, state, local or international law or regulation (including, without limitation, any laws regarding the export of data or software to and from the US or other countries).
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming or attempting to exploit or harm minors in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information or otherwise.
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use, or re-use any material that does not comply with the Content Standards set out in these Terms.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional material, including any “junk mail”, “chain letter” or “spam” or any other similar solicitation.
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate The Policy Circle or its employees, another user or any other person or entity (including, without limitation, by using e-mail addresses or screen names associated with any of the foregoing).
- To engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone’s use or enjoyment of the Website, or which, as determined by us, may harm The Policy Circle or users of the Website or expose them to liability.
Additionally, you agree not to:
- Use the Website in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, or impair the site or interfere with any other party’s use of the Website, including their ability to engage in real time activities through the Website.
- Use any robot, spider or other automatic device, process or means to access the Website for any purpose, including monitoring or copying any of the material on the Website.
- Use any manual process to monitor or copy any of the material on the Website or for any other unauthorized purpose without our prior written consent.
- Use any device, software, or routine that interferes with the proper working of the Website.
- Introduce any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, logic bombs, or other material that is malicious or technologically harmful.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage, or disrupt any parts of the Website, the server on which the Website is stored, or any server, computer, or database connected to the Website.
- Attack the Website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack.
- Otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Website.
6. User Contributions
The Website may contain message boards, chat rooms, personal web pages or profiles, forums, bulletin boards and other interactive features that allow users to post, submit, publish, display or transmit to other users or other persons (hereinafter, “post”) content or materials (collectively, “User Contributions”) on or through the Website.
All User Contributions must comply with the Content Standards set out in these Terms
You represent and warrant that:
- You own or control all rights in and to the User Contributions and have the right to grant the license granted above to us and our affiliates and service providers, and each of their and our respective licensees, successors and assigns.
- All of your User Contributions do and will comply with these Terms.
You understand and acknowledge that you are responsible for any User Contributions you submit or contribute, and you, not The Policy Circle, have fully responsibility for such content, including its legality, reliability, accuracy, and appropriateness.
We are not responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any User Contributions posted by you or any other user of the Website.
We have the right to:
- Remove or refuse to post any User Contributions for any or no reason in our sole discretion.
- Disclose your identity or other information about you to any third party who claims that material posted by you violates their rights, including their intellectual property rights or their right to privacy.
- Take appropriate legal action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unauthorized use of the Website.
Without limiting the foregoing, we have the right to fully cooperate with any law enforcement authorities or court order requesting or directing us to disclose the identity or other information of anyone posting any materials on or through the Website. YOU WAIVE AND HOLD HARMLESS THE COMPANY AND ITS AFFILIATES, LICENSEES AND SERVICE PROVIDERS FROM ANY CLAIMS RESULTING FROM ANY ACTION TAKEN BY THE COMPANY/ANY OF THE FOREGOING PARTIES DURING OR AS A RESULT OF ITS INVESTIGATIONS AND FROM ANY ACTIONS TAKEN AS A CONSEQUENCE OF INVESTIGATIONS BY EITHER SUCH PARTIES OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.
However, we cannot review all material before it is posted on the Website, and cannot ensure prompt removal of objectionable material after it has been posted. Accordingly, we assume no liability for any action or inaction regarding transmissions, communications, or content provided by any user or third party. We have no liability or responsibility to anyone for performance or nonperformance of the activities described in this section.
7. Content Standards
These content standards apply to any and all User Contributions. User Contributions must in their entirety comply with all applicable federal, state, local and international laws and regulations. Without limiting the foregoing, User Contributions must not:
- Contain any material that is defamatory, obscene, indecent, abusive, hostile, offensive, harassing, violent, hateful, inflammatory, or otherwise objectionable.
- Constitute political speech or lobbying activities as prohibited in the Membership Agreement.
- Promote sexually explicit or pornographic material, violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age.
- Infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person.
- Be likely to deceive any person.
- Promote any illegal activity, or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act.
- Cause annoyance, inconvenience, or needless anxiety or be likely to upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.
- Impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person or organization.
- Involve commercial activities or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes, and other sales promotions, barter or advertising.
- Give the impression that they emanate from or are endorsed by us or any other person or entity, if this is not the case.
8. Copyright Infringement
We take claims of copyright infringement seriously. We will respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement that comply with applicable law. If you believe any materials accessible on or from the Website infringe your copyright, you may request removal of those materials (or access thereto) from the Website by submitting written notification to our Copyright Agent (designated below). In accordance with the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (17 U.S.C. § 512) (“DMCA”), the written notice (the “DMCA Notice”) must include substantially the following:
- Your physical or electronic signature.
- Identification of the copyrighted work you believe to have been infringed or, if the claim involves multiple works on the Website, a representative list of such works.
- Identification of the material you believe to be infringing in a sufficiently precise manner to allow us to locate that material.
- Adequate information by which we can contact you (including your name, postal address, telephone number and, if available, email address).
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information in the written notice is accurate.
- A statement, under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
It is our policy, in appropriate circumstances, to disable and/or terminate the accounts of users who are repeat infringers.
9. Reliance on Information Posted
The information presented on or through the Website is made available solely for general information purposes. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of this information. Any reliance you place on such information is strictly at your own risk. We disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by you or any other visitor to the Website, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.
This Website includes content provided by third parties, including materials provided by other users, bloggers, and third-party licensors, syndicators, aggregators, and/or reporting services. All statements and/or opinions expressed in these materials, and all articles and responses to questions and other content, other than the content provided by The Policy Circle, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the person or entity providing those materials. These materials do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the The Policy Circle. We are not responsible, or liable to you or any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials provided by any third parties.
We may update the content on this Website from time to time, but its content is not necessarily complete or up-to-date. Any of the material on the Website may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update such material.
10. Linking to the Website and Social Media Features
You may link to our homepage, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it, but you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval, or endorsement on our part without our express consent.
This Website may provide certain social media features that enable you to:
- Link from your own or certain third-party websites to certain content on this Website.
- Send e-mails or other communications with certain content, or links to certain content, on this Website.
- Cause limited portions of content on this Website to be displayed or appear to be displayed on your own or certain third-party websites.
You may use these features solely as they are provided by us solely with respect to the content with which they are displayed.
You agree to cooperate with us in terminating any unauthorized framing or linking immediately. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
We may disable all or any social media features and any links at any time without notice in our discretion.
11. Links from the Website
If the Website contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your convenience only. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you decide to access any of the third party websites linked to this Website, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such websites.
12. Disclaimer of Warranties
YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE, ITS CONTENT AND ANY SERVICE OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE WEBSITE AND ITS CONTENT ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. NEITHER THE POLICY CIRCLE NOR ANY PERSON ASSOCIATED WITH THE POLICY CIRCLE MAKES ANY WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION WITH RESPECT TO THE COMPLETENESS, SECURITY, RELIABILITY, QUALITY, ACCURACY, OR AVAILABILITY OF THE WEBSITE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, NEITHER THE POLICY CIRCLE NOR ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH THE POLICY CIRCLE REPRESENTS OR WARRANTS THAT THE SERVICE OR ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE WEBSITE WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE, ERROR-FREE OR UNINTERRUPTED, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, THAT OUR WEBSITE OR THE SERVER THAT MAKES IT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS OR THAT THE WEBSITE OR ANY SERVICE WILL OTHERWISE MEET YOUR NEEDS OR EXPECTATIONS. THE POLICY CIRCLE HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY WARRANTIES THAT CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
13. Limitation on Liability
IN NO EVENT WILL THE POLICY CIRCLE,, ITS AFFILIATES OR THEIR LICENSORS, SERVICE PROVIDERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, OFFICERS OR DIRECTORS BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE SERVICE, ANY WEBSITES LINKED TO IT, OR ANY CONTENT ON THE SERVICE, INCLUDING ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY, PAIN AND SUFFERING, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, LOSS OF REVENUE, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR ANTICIPATED SAVINGS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF GOODWILL, LOSS OF DATA, AND WHETHER CAUSED BY TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF CONTRACT OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE. IN NO EVENT WILL THE POLICY CIRCLE’S AGGREGATE LIABILITY EXCEED $100.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY LIABILITY WHICHTHAT CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
You agree to defend, hold harmless and indemnify The Policy Circle from and against any and all losses, costs, expenses, damages or other liabilities incurred by The Policy Circle from and against any cost, liability, loss, damage, cause of action, claim, suit, proceeding, demand or action brought by a third party against The Policy Circle in connection with your use of the Website. Any such indemnification is conditioned on our: (i) notifying you in writing of any such claim, demand, action, cost, liability, loss or threat of any thereof; (ii) cooperating with you in the defense or settlement thereof; and (iii) allowing you to control such defense or settlement. We will be entitled to participate in such defense through our own counsel at our own cost and expense. We reserve the right to report any wrongdoing of which we become aware to the applicable government agencies or otherwise.
15. Governing Law and Jurisdiction
All matters relating to the Website and these Terms and any dispute or claim arising therefrom or related thereto (in each case, including non-contractual disputes or claims), are governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Illinois without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule (whether of the State of Illinois or any other jurisdiction). Any legal suit, action, or proceeding arising out of, or related to, these Terms or the website may be instituted exclusively in the federal courts of the United States or the courts of the State of Illinois in each case located in the City of Chicago. You waive any and all objections to the exercise of jurisdiction over you by such courts and to venue in such courts.
The Website is controlled and operated from the United States, and we make no representations that it is appropriate or available for use in other locations.
16. Agreement to Arbitrate
If any controversy, allegation, or claim arises out of or relates to the Website or these Terms, including, but not limited to, claims for indemnification, contribution, or cross-claims in a pending action involving one or more third parties (collectively, a “Dispute”), then either you or The Policy Circle may elect to submit the Dispute to be finally and exclusively resolved by binding arbitration before a sole arbitrator in accordance with the then current Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association. If an in-person arbitration hearing is required, then it will be conducted in Chicago, Illinois; but if the applicable arbitration rules or laws require the arbitration to be conducted in the “metropolitan statistical area” (as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau) where you are a resident at the time the Dispute is submitted to arbitration, The Policy Circle will have the right to elect to proceed to arbitration in such location. If the value of the relief sought is $10,000 or less, you or The Policy Circle may elect to have the arbitration conducted by telephone or based solely on written submissions, which election will be binding on you and The Policy Circle subject to the arbitrator’s discretion to require an in-person hearing, if the circumstances warrant. Attendance at an in-person hearing may be made by telephone by you and/or The Policy Circle, unless the arbitrator requires otherwise.
All parties to the arbitration will have the right, at their own expense, to be represented by an attorney or other advocate of their choosing. You and The Policy Circle will pay the administrative and arbitrator’s fees and other costs in accordance with the applicable arbitration rules; but if applicable arbitration rules or laws require The Policy Circle to pay a greater portion or all of such fees and costs in order for this Section 1516 to be enforceable, then The Policy Circle will have the right to elect to pay the fees and costs and proceed to arbitration.
In arbitration, as with a court, the arbitrator must honor the terms of these Terms and can award the prevailing party damages and other relief (including attorneys’ fees). However, WITH ARBITRATION (i) THERE IS NO JUDGE OR JURY, (ii) THE ARBITRATION PROCEEDINGS AND ARBITRATION OUTCOME ARE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN CONFIDENTIALITY RULES, AND (iii) JUDICIAL REVIEW OF THE ARBITRATION OUTCOME IS LIMITED.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IF YOU OR WE WANT TO ASSERT A DISPUTE AGAINST THE OTHER, THEN YOU OR WE MUST COMMENCE IT WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE DISPUTE ARISES OR IT WILL BE FOREVER BARRED.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU AGREE THAT NO ARBITRATION MAY BE JOINED WITH ANY OTHER; THERE IS NO RIGHT OR AUTHORITY FOR ANY DISPUTE TO BE ARBITRATED ON A REPRESENTATIVE OR CLASS-ACTION BASIS OR TO UTILIZE CLASS ACTION PROCEDURES; AND THERE IS NO RIGHT OR AUTHORITY FOR ANY DISPUTE TO BE BROUGHT IN A PURPORTED REPRESENTATIVE CAPACITY ON BEHALF OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC OR ANY OTHER PERSONS.
17. Waiver and Severability
No waiver by The Policy Circle of any term or condition set forth in these Terms are a further or continuing waiver of such term or condition or a waiver of any other term or condition, and any failure of The Policy Circle to assert a right or provision under these Terms does not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of these Terms is held by a court or other tribunal of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable for any reason, such provision will be eliminated or limited to the minimum extent such that the remaining provisions of the Terms will continue in full force and effect.
18. Entire Agreement
19. Your Comments and Concerns
All other feedback, comments, requests for technical support and other communications relating to the Service should be directed to email@example.com.